Ear wax is a natural substance produced by gland in our ear canal. It has significant protective and anti-bacterial role in the ear, and is used for lubrication. However, if it accumulates too much it can cause clogged ears, which is not as naive problem as it first appears.
Ear wax can be pressed deep inside the ear canal when using cotton swabs. People using cotton swabs or hearing aid are more likely to develop clogged ear. Keep reading and learn how to get rid of clogged ear using natural remedies.
Causes and symptoms of clogged ears
As mentioned above, ear wax presents some sort of protection against water, dust and other small particles, to stop them from getting into more sensitive areas and cause various infections.
Sometimes secretion of ear wax is increased, which gets to greater accumulation of wax inside the ear, which in turn causes clogged ear, a very unpleasant feeling. The amount of wax accumulating in our ears is individual and varies from person to person. Too much wax accumulating in the ear can also be a result of an infection, skin disease, bone disease or connective tissue disease.
Compacted ear wax can be a result of insufficient or excessive secretion of wax caused by a trauma or a blockage within the ear canal. If you are often exposed to loud and unpleasant noise for a longer period of time, it is likely that your organism will secrete significantly more ear wax than usual, in order to protect itself. In those cases, clogged ear is not rare.
Lack of zinc, magnesium and omega-3 fatty acids can also cause increased secretion of ear wax, so we should pay more attention to foods that contain them.
Some of the signs and symptoms of excessive accumulation of ear wax are pain in the ears, a feeling that the ear is full, ringing (tinnitus), temporary hearing loss and uncomfortable itching.
Fortunately there are simple natural remedies that can help you unplug clogged ears and successfully remove the hardened wax from the ears, but cannot be applied in the case of a punctured eardrum.
Natural remedies to get rid of ear wax
If the problem remains untreated, it can lead to serious complications, such as ear infections, hearing problems, and eventually, loss of hearing. Although this problem is benign, long time treatment of ear problems is imperative in order to avoid future complications. Effective procedures to facilitate these problems depend on the factors that caused it. The following are effective home remedies for the treatment of clogged ear.
Hydrogen peroxide solution
• Mix equal amounts of hot water and 3% hydrogen peroxide.
• Soak a cotton ball in the liquid, tilt the head, and carefully put a few drops in the ear.
• Leave it for a few minutes, then rotate your head so that the solution leaks out, along with the impurities.
Baking soda is very effective natural remedy for excess ear wax. Therefore, if you have troubles with earwax, do the following…
• Mix a quarter teaspoon of baking soda with 2 teaspoons of water.
• Tilt your head to the side and use the pipette to put a few drops of the solution in the affected ear.
• Wait for 10 minutes and then slowly pour warm water using syringe.
• Tilt your head to the opposite side to let the excess solution and dissolved wax out.
• Use a soft, clean cloth to clean the ear.
• Put a few drops of baby oil into the ear.
• Place the cotton ball at the opening of the outer ear to prevent spilling.
• After a while, tilt your ear in the opposite direction and let the oil run out, together with the impurities.
• Put two to three drops of this incredible oil in the ear before bed several days in a row and you’ll notice a significant difference.
• Do not drip the hot oil in the ear, no matter what your grandma told you, because you may damage the skin in the inner ear.
• Mix half a teaspoon of salt with 100 milliliters of warm water until the crystals are completely dissolved.
• Soak a cotton ball into the liquid, tilt the head, and carefully put a few drops in the affected ear.
• Wait a few minutes, then turn the head in the opposite direction, so that the solution leaks out of the ear, along with the impurities.
White Vinegar and alcohol
• In a small bowl, mix equal amounts of white vinegar and alcohol.
• Put the solution into the ear and leave it for a few minutes.
Valsalva maneuver is a great way to get rid of the clogged ear.
• Pinch your nose closed with your fingers and then take a deep breath.
• Blow air out while keeping your nose closed, for air pressure to be regulated. If you can hear a slight popping sound, that means that the Eustachian tubes are being opened again, and that you have done it correctly.
• Tilt your head to the side and use a pipette to put 3 to 5 drops of glycerin in the ear.
• Plug the ear with a cotton pad, and leave glycerin to act for a few hours.
• Remove the cotton pad and gently rinse off the ear with warm water.
• Tilt your head to the other side, so that the water is completely out.
• Gently dry the external part of the earlobe with a towel or a blow dryer and your clogged ear will soon uncork.
Prevention tips and tricks
1. During the shower or a bath try to keep ear moist and thus prevent hardening of wax.
2. Do not use pointed objects to clean your ears, because you will only push wax further into the ear. Cotton swabs can clean the outside of the ear, but do not insert it into the ear canal.
3. Eat foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids such as walnuts, oily fish and avocados, which will ease the problems with the accumulation of wax in the ears.
4. Consult a doctor if you feel any discomfort inside the ear, even though you have tried all of these techniques.
[Tweet “Valsalva maneuver is a great way to get rid of the clogged ear!”]
Leave a Reply